Friday, August 13, 2010

My Heart

(When the idea of doing a blog to track what we're doing down here first started, it was going to be a place to share photos and our day-to-day going ons.  After day one we realized that there was so much more we wanted to share.  Photos weren't going to happen but stories did.  And trying to find just one story a day to talk about became impossible. The following was written on our last day of work and with an untold amount of tears.  The person in this story has impacted me more than any one else I've ever met in any country over the last 20 years of short-term missions. And this story, in no way, does him justice.)

His name is Robinson and from the moment he showed up on our job sight he had my heart. He works harder than any person here. I truly believe that if it weren't for the lack of nails he would have continued to work through the pouring rain. The only time he took a break was when Wick or I forced him to drink "bag water."


Even now while the rest of us are taking a break, he is still hammering, bare feet, sweat-soaked shirt, soulful eyes. The only time he speaks is to ask for more nails or to say thank you.

He watches Wick's every move. Every swing of the hammer. Every step.  He doesn't ask questions.  He just watches and he never smiles.

I wish I could tell you his life story.  I wish I knew his wife's name.  I wish I could tell  you that his life belongs to Jesus.  What I do know is that this man served, asking for nothing and expecting nothing.  And in his own quiet way impacted not just me, but many of us. 

His name is Robinson and somewhere in Haiti he will always have my heart.
 
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment